The PTI Certificate in Welding Technology is designed to help meet the demand for skilled industrial and commercial welders, particularly in the dynamic oil and gas industry being fueled by Marcellus Shale.
In this program, you can train on industry-current equipment combining theoretical and practical knowledge as you study and learn from experienced welding professionals. Coursework is designed to help you develop a diverse range of relevant, marketable skills. For example:
- In General SMAW Practices, you will be taught the basic principles of Arc Welding. The course consists of classroom training in electricity and metallurgy as well as shop training that emphasizes the demonstration and extensive practice with electrodes commonly used throughout the industry in flat, vertical and horizontal overhead positions.
- In SENSE Basic Welding Certification, you will study welding procedures, modularized examinations, health and safety information and quality assurance as you prepare to sit for the SENSE Level 1 Certification.
- In Gas Metal Arc Welding, you will perform edge, corner, lap and fillet welds in all positions as you learn how to weld mild steels, stainless steels and aluminum. You will also be taught the effect of variables such as welding current and voltage, shielding gases, different types of Tungsten and how to select the correct metal filler.
- You will learn from experienced welding instructors who have had valuable experience in the field.
- PTI has an advisory board comprised of energy and technology professionals who keep our programs up to date and consistent with the needs of today's employment market.
- In addition, the PTI welding program includes training in management skills to further train you for advancement in your career.
- You can complete this program and graduate as a technically skilled welding professional in just 12 months.
More about this program
In the PTI Welding Certification Program you will learn key skills including.
- Layout fitter welding
- MIG, TIG, and ARC Welding
- Flux core welding
- Pipe welding
- Structural welding
- Container welding
- Spot welding
- Exotic metal welding
- Plate welding
Graduates in the PTI Welding Certificate program are prepared to sit for both the American Welding Society Certification as well as SENSE Plates Certification.
SENSE (Schools Excelling through National Skills Education) is a set of welding standards and guidelines that assist schools in training welders. Welders with SENSE certification are in demand by welding employers.
PTI has an advisory board comprised of energy and technology professionals who keep our programs up to date and consistent with the needs of today's employment market.
In addition, the PTI welding program includes training in management skills to further train our graduates for advancement in their careers.
The PTI Welding Program consists of 18 courses over four quarters. The courses include:
- Gas Welding Plate and Pipe
- Metal Cutting and Fabrication
- Blueprint Reading
- Math for Welders
- Welding Symbols
- General SMAW Practices
- SMAW Equipment and Electrode Identification
- General Exotic Metals
- AWS Plate Welding Certification
- Sense Basic Welding Certification
- SMAW Advanced Plate and Pipe
- Plate Welding
- Gas Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
- AWS SENSE MIG and TIG Prep
- Flux Core Inner and Outer Shield
- Exotic Metals Advanced
As a student at PTI, you can tap into all of the support and services you would expect at a well-respected school. Our Career Services Department is staffed by experienced placement professionals with contacts and connections across the country. PTI Welding Technology graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Marcellus Shale
- Energy Exploration
- Construction and Mining
- Architectural and Structural Metal
- Boiler, Tanks and Shipping Container Manufacturers
- Commercial Machinery Repair and Maintenance
- Machine Ships and Threaded Product Manufacturers
- Motor Vehicle Body and Trailer Manufacturers
- Fabricated Metal Products Manufacturers
The basic skills of welding are the same across industries, making it possible for you to shift your career from one field to another as demand grows accordingly. For example, the ongoing growth in production in the Marcellus Shale industry, not to mention the deterioration of bridges across Pennsylvania, continues to fuel demand for skilled:
- Welders, Cutters and Fitters
- Soldering and Brazing Workers
- Machine Setters, Operators and Tenders
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Metal and Plastic Layout Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steam Fitters
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers
- Maintenance Workers and Machinery Workers
- Rail Track Laying and Maintenance Workers
- Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: