Opportunities in nursing will continue to grow as medical advancements help people live longer.
PTI's PRACTICAL NURSING program combines discussions, learning experiences, lectures and hands-on training in a state-of-the-industry laboratory and clinical classrooms where students can develop the skills needed to stand out in the job market and make a difference in patients' lives.
- You will regularly learn in PTI's state-of-the-industry simulation lab where you will work with the latest equipment and technology providing hands-on practice with the tools you will use in your nursing career.
- Our program includes management instruction so you will be prepared to lead a department as you progress in your career.
- Many graduates begin their career in senior care so this is a focus throughout your PTI education.
- You will work in a nurturing environment with experienced instructors and student advisors. Our small class sizes mean you get the individual attention you need.
- PTI students learn the art and science of nursing with classes that are building blocks to lifelong learning. Articulation agreements with several colleges open doors to nursing education should you decide to pursue your associate or bachelors degree.
The Practical Nursing Certificate Program is accredited through fall 2018 by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326. (404) 975-5000. www.acenursing.org
So you want to be a Nurse? Here’s what you need to know about eligibility and admission to PTI’s School of Nursing.
PTI’s School of Nursing welcomes candidates to its testing dates and information sessions for its Practical Nursing and Associate in Science, Nursing, programs. Here’s what you need to know about candidacy for PTI’s School of Nursing.
PTI School of Nursing candidates must complete the following.
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED
- Pass PTI’s nursing entrance exam
Submit acceptable SAT/ACT scores
- Pass a background check and a drug screening.
Here’s how you get started.
Step 1 – DETERMINE YOUR ELIGIBILITY
- If you have SAT/ACT scores that match the following, call PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5386.
SAT: Math 450 or better and Verbal 450 or better
ACT: 19 or better
- If you currently work as an LPN, call PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5386
- If A and B don’t apply to you, schedule a testing date for PTI’s Nursing entrance exam to determine your eligibility
Step 2 – ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION
Once you are notified of your eligibility, you can schedule a date to attend one of PTI’s School of Nursing Information Sessions to receive your Enrollment Packet and instructions.
Step 3 – APPLY FOR CLEARANCES
Submit the following components as detailed in your Enrollment Packet.
- Act 33
- Act 34
- Act 73
- PTI’s admissions application
- $100 tuition deposit*
- $60 drug screening fee*
* your tuition deposit and screening fee should be included in one $160 check made payable to Pittsburgh Technical Institute
Step 4 – MEET WITH ADMISSIONS
When all 6 components of your enrollment packet are submitted you can schedule an individual interview with PTI Admissions to tour our facility and to discuss your career goals, educational expectations, financial aid need and possible credit transfers.
Step 5 – COMPLETE YOUR ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
Submit the following forms.
- Health Evaluation Form
- Proof of CPR (professional rescuer)
- Drug screening results
Once you complete these five steps, your application for admission to PTI’s School of Nursing can be evaluated. Upon acceptance, you can order your uniform and prepare for the start of classes.
Questions? Contact PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5369 or firstname.lastname@example.org
PTI’s Nursing entrance exam
This is a timed and computerized multiple-choice test. Please arrive early with your photo ID to complete check-in. Allow 90 minutes to complete this entrance exam.
Nursing Entrance Exam Schedule
More about this program
- Administering medications
- Administering oxygen therapy
- Changing dressings
- Completing comprehensive physical assessments
- Performing CPR
- Performing venipuncture to administer or withdraw fluids
- Positioning, transferring and ambulation of patients
- Preparing and maintaining a sterile environment
- Preventing and treating infections
- Providing range-of motion exercises
- Providing skin care, catheter care and wound care
- Taking vital signs
Graduates of PTI's Practical Nursing Program are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN exam. At PTI we will arrange for your clinical instruction at one of several of our partners such as:
- Kindred Hospital
- Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC
- St. Barnabas Health Systems
- KinderCare Learning Centers
- HCR ManorCare, Greentree
- UPMC Cranberry Place
- UPMC Seneca Place
- The Children's Institute
- LifeCare Hospitals of Pittsburgh
- Baptist Homes
- Country Meadows
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
- Anatomy and Physiology Lab 1 and 2
- Foundations of Nursing 1 and 2
- Gerontology and Nursing Practice
- Maternity Nursing
- Microbiology Lab
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Nursing Practice 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Pediatric Nursing
- Pharmacology in Nursing
- Pharmacology in Nursing Application Lab
- Psychosocial and Psychiatric Issues
- Transition in Nursing Practice
PTI Practical Nursing graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Community Health Centers
- Urgent Care Centers
- Government Agencies
- Home Health Services
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Outpatient Centers
- Physician's Offices
- Public Health Departments
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Skilled Nursing Units
- Transitional Care Units
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Family Hospice and Palliative Care
- HCR Manorcare
- Highland Park Care Center
- Providence Point
- Continuum Pediatric Home Health Care
- Uniontown Hospital
- Vincentian Collaborative System
- UPMC Cranberry Place
Applicants for the Practical Nursing program must pass several requirements: Act 33 Child Abuse History Clearance, Act 34 Request for Criminal Record Check, Act 73 FBI Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting, Initial Health Evaluation Form, Professional Rescuer CPR Certification, Random Drug Screening ($60), Critical Thinking exam and Reading Comprehension exam. Some employers may require a background check or drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.