Associate in Science, Nursing
Concentrations within this Program
Nurses make unique and distinct contributions to the healthcare system and to society as a whole.
The goal of nursing care is to address human needs across the lifespan, and to promote, protect, maintain, and restore health and human dignity. Nurses act as compassionate providers of care. They are leaders, educators, and counselors. PTI has created an Associate in Science, Nursing, to educate the next generation of America’s caregivers.
The PTI ASN is a 21-month comprehensive program designed to prepare students who want to enter the nursing profession and for graduates who have completed a Practical Nursing program and want to expand their skills to sit for Registered Nursing Licensure. The curriculum is designed to prepare you to sit for the NCLEX-RN Registered Nursing Exam. Through discussions,interactive instruction, lectures, hands-on laboratory training, and practce in our Simulation Center, you'll have a chance to develop the skills that could help you stand out in the job market and make a difference in patients' lives
At PTI we combine classroom learning with skills practice in PTI’s state of the industry laboratory and Simulation Center. ASN students will gain valuable experience in extensive clinical settings including an emphasis on primary care and wellness, acute care, chronic illness, obstetrics, and pediatrics. This valuable combination of classroom learning, laboratory preparation, and clinical experience is designed to prepare you for a rewarding career in nursing.
- You can complete your degree in less than two years. There is no waiting for available classes and no delays in getting your degree.
- Licensed Practical Nurse program graduates may participate in our advanced standing program to complete their ASN with additional quarters of study based on credit for previous education and experience.
- The curriculum is designed to prepare you to sit for the NCLEX-RN Registered Nursing Exam.
- You will benefit from separate courses in critical thinking, ethics and pharmacology.
- You will learn in clinical settings across the entire healthcare delivery continuum from wellness to acute care to chronic care with people of all ages.
- You will regularly learn in PTI’s state of the industry simulation lab where you will be working with the latest equipment and technology.
- You will learn in our state of the art Nursing Skills Lab that provides hands on practice of the skills you will use in your career in nursing.
- You will work in a nurturing environment with experienced instructors and student advisors. Our small class sizes mean you get the individual attention you need.
- Our students learn the science of nursing and beyond. We believe in lifelong learning for our nurses and have articulation agreements with several colleges for ongoing nurse education should you decide to pursue a bachelor’s degree in nursing. Many courses may be considered for transfer by area RN to BSN programs.
So you want to be a Nurse? Here’s what you need to know about eligibility and admission to PTI’s School of Nursing.
PTI’s School of Nursing welcomes candidates to its testing dates and information sessions for its Practical Nursing and Associate in Science, Nursing, programs. Here’s what you need to know about candidacy for PTI’s School of Nursing.
PTI School of Nursing candidates must complete the following.
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED
- Pass PTI’s nursing entrance exam
Submit acceptable SAT/ACT scores
- Pass a background check and a drug screening.
Here’s how you get started.
Step 1 – DETERMINE YOUR ELIGIBILITY
- If you have SAT/ACT scores that match the following, call PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5386.
SAT: Math 450 or better and Verbal 450 or better
ACT: 19 or better
- If you currently work as an LPN, call PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5386
- If A and B don’t apply to you, schedule a testing date for PTI’s Nursing entrance exam to determine your eligibility
Step 2 – ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION
Once you are notified of your eligibility, you can schedule a date to attend one of PTI’s School of Nursing Information Sessions to receive your Enrollment Packet and instructions.
Step 3 – APPLY FOR CLEARANCES
Submit the following components as detailed in your Enrollment Packet.
- Act 33
- Act 34
- Act 73
- PTI’s admissions application
- $100 tuition deposit*
- $60 drug screening fee*
* your tuition deposit and screening fee should be included in one $160 check made payable to Pittsburgh Technical Institute
Step 4 – MEET WITH ADMISSIONS
When all 6 components of your enrollment packet are submitted you can schedule an individual interview with PTI Admissions to tour our facility and to discuss your career goals, educational expectations, financial aid need and possible credit transfers.
Step 5 – COMPLETE YOUR ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
Submit the following forms.
- Health Evaluation Form
- Proof of CPR (professional rescuer)
- Drug screening results
Once you complete these five steps, your application for admission to PTI’s School of Nursing can be evaluated. Upon acceptance, you can order your uniform and prepare for the start of classes.
Questions? Contact PTI Nursing Admissions at 412-809-5369 or email@example.com
PTI’s Nursing entrance exam
This is a timed and computerized multiple-choice test that focuses on your thinking and reasoning skills, which are necessary for success in the nursing program. Please arrive early with your photo ID to complete check-in. Allow 90 minutes to complete this entrance exam.
Nursing Entrance Exam Schedule
More about this program
- Certifications & Clinical Experience
- Key Skills
- Consumer Information: Associate of Science in Nursing
Certifications & Clinical Experience
Graduates of PTI’s Associate in Science, Nursing, are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam. As a special benefit PTI pays for the cost of this examination*.
At PTI we will arrange for your clinical instruction with clinical experiences in varied locations including:
- Kindred Hospital
- UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital
- Country Meadows
- LifeCare Hospitals of Pittsburgh
- St. Barnabas Health System
- Kane Regional Centers
- KinderCare Learning Centers
- HCR ManorCare, Greentree
- UPMC Cranberry Place
- The Children’s Home & Lemieux Family Center
*PTI reimburses graduates who successfully pass the exam within 120 days of graduation.
Key SkillsIn the PTI ASN Program you will learn key skills such as:
- Assessing patients who are acutely or chronically ill
- Managing patient care problems and concerns.
- Anticipating health care needs of patients and families
- Intervening to promote patient safety
- Educating patients and families about health and illness
- Providing nursing care for patients with complex healthcare needs
- Using available life-saving technology to monitor patients
- Leading teams
- Collaborating with others in healthcare settings
- Preparing reports on patient status
- Performing treatments and cutting edge therapies
- Coordinating discharge planning
- Participating in quality improvement initiatives
- Supervising nursing team members and evaluating performance
- Evaluating patients' responses to medications and treatments
- Acute Care of the Adult
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
- Anatomy and Physiology Lab 1 and 2
- Care of Adults with Chronic Illness
- Clinical Practice 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
- Critical Thinking
- Effective Speech
- English Composition 1 and 2
- Foundations of Nursing
- Introduction to Nursing
- Lifespan Development
- Microbiology Lab
- Nursing Care Evolving Family
- Pharmacology and Pharmacology Applications for RN Practice
- Primary Care & Wellness
- Principles of Math
- Professional Transition into Practice
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Social Problems
At PTI we offer a comprehensive Career Services Department Staffed with over 15 placement professionals to find you a nursing position. PTI Associate in Science in Nursing graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Community Health Centers
- Urgent Care Centers
- Government Agencies
- Home Health Services
- Long Term Acute Care Hospitals
- Rehabilitation Agencies
- Behavioral Health Agencies
- Outpatient Centers
- Physicians’ Offices
- Public Health Departments
- Rehabilitation Centers
Here is where our career services department has established relationships:
- UPMC Senior Communities
- Uniontown Hospital
- HCR Manorcare
- Kindred Hospital
- Washington Hospital
- Magee Women’s Hospital of UPMC
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- Allegheny Health Network
- LifeCare Hospitals of Pittsburgh
- St. Barnabas Health System
Consumer Information: Associate of Science in Nursing
The Associate in Science, Nursing (ASN) Program has been designated as a Candidate for Accreditation by the Accreditation Commission on Education in Nursing, 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326. Telephone: 404-975-5000. Website: www.acenursing.org.
The Associate in Science, Nursing (ASN) Program has Provisional Approval Status from the PA State Board of Nursing, through fall 2015 when the licensure examination first time pass rates will be reviewed for the ASN graduates who have taken the NCLEX-RN examination during this annual reporting year (10/1/14 through 9/30/15).
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.