The Computer Programming degree at PTI introduces students to the language of today's programming world with instruction in C++.net, C#.net, VisualBasic.net, Java, HTML, DHTML, PostGreSQL and more as requested by employers.
What distinguishes PTI's program from others are certifications students can earn through web-based programs under the instruction of certified PTI instructors. Learning is challenging but fun, incorporating classes in gaming to teach programming skills. It is project-based and progressive, including a class in programming for mobile apps.
- Demonstration presentations replace lectures and a state-of-the-industry lab becomes your classroom to develop hands-on skills before your internship.
- Team-based projects provide experiential learning in workplace skills such as communications, planning and delegating, and project management.
- Three game development courses introduce programming principles underlying interactivity, animation and sound in 2D and 3D video environments.
- A capstone group project highlights your understanding of concepts, techniques
- and skills through the development of an enterprise application.
More about this program
In the PTI Computer Programming program you will learn key skills such as:
- Creating graphic user interfaces suitable for commercial use
- Client-side scripting, web content development and database access using HTML tags, cascading style sheets and interactive programming
- Designing databases such as an e-commerce system using relational data models and JAVA and/or Visual Basic
- Developing interactive and multi-view applications for mobile devices
- Evaluating interface design and user interaction using experimentation techniques
- JAVA programming for mobile devices and web-based applications
- .NET development
- Problem solving and solution documentation using object-oriented design
- Programming for the optimum balance of memory requirements, execution time and bandwidth
- Writing decision loops, strings, pointers, functions and subscripted variables using C++
Programming languages you will use:
- Visual Basic
- Database Systems
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Game Development 1 and 2
- GUI Development
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Introduction to Game Design
- Introduction to Information Systems
- Object-Oriented Programming and Testing
- Programming Enterprise Applications
- Programming Mobile Applications
- Project Management
- User-Centered Design and Testing
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- Effective Speech
- Electives — 2
- English Composition 1 and 2
- Leadership Principles
- Steps to Career Success 1, 2 and 3
- PTI Computer Programming students receive additional hands-on experience during their in-field internship.
PTI Computer Programming graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Airlines and Transportation Companies
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Colleges, Universities and School Districts
- Communications Providers
- Digital and Web-based Companies
- Government Agencies
- Hospitals and Medical Practices
- Hotels, Resorts and Gaming Concerns
- Insurance Companies
- Manufacturing and Production Companies
- Mining and Drilling Companies
- Publishing and Broadcasting
- Retail and E-commerce Companies
- Service Providers
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- B-Three Solutions
- Bank of America — Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated
- Concept 2 Solution
- Datel Software Solutions
- Federated Investors
- Liz Sabol Creative
- Maniet Financial Service Network
- Marketing Support Network
- Maven Studios
- Port Authority of Allegheny County
- Roan Dynamic Media
- Sherpa Software
- Sierra w/o Wires
- Teleplex Inc.
- Think First
- University of Pittsburgh
- United Electrical Workers
- Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Applicants for the Computer Programming program must meet specific entrance requirements.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: