The Computer Programming degree at PTI introduces students to the language of today's programming world with instruction in C++.net, C#.net, VisualBasic.net, Java, HTML, DHTML, PostGreSQL and more as requested by employers.
What distinguishes PTI's program from others are the iCarnegie certifications students can earn through web-based programs under the instruction of certified PTI instructors. Learning is challenging but fun, incorporating classes in gaming to teach programming skills. It is project-based and progressive, including a class in programming for mobile apps.
- Demonstration presentations replace lectures and a state-of-the-industry lab becomes your classroom to develop hands-on skills before your internship.
- PTI's program is supported by iCarnegie Inc., a subsidiary of Carnegie Mellon University, and provides the opportunity — at no additional cost — to earn six certificates of completion through programs facilitated by iCarnegie certified PTI instructors.
- You can earn iCarnegie certificates in Database Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms, Introduction to Computer Systems, Introduction to Information Systems, Object Oriented Programming and Testing, and User Centered Design and Testing.
- Team-based projects provide experiential learning in workplace skills such as communications, planning and delegating, and project management.
- Three game development courses introduce programming principles underlying interactivity, animation and sound in 2D and 3D video environments.
- A capstone group project highlights your understanding of concepts, techniques
- and skills through the development of an enterprise application.
More about this program
In the PTI Computer Programming program you will learn key skills such as:
- Creating graphic user interfaces suitable for commercial use
- Client-side scripting, web content development and database access using HTML tags, cascading style sheets and interactive programming
- Designing databases such as an e-commerce system using relational data models and JAVA and/or Visual Basic
- Developing interactive and multi-view applications for mobile devices
- Evaluating interface design and user interaction using experimentation techniques
- JAVA programming for mobile devices and web-based applications
- .NET development
- Problem solving and solution documentation using object-oriented design
- Programming for the optimum balance of memory requirements, execution time and bandwidth
- Writing decision loops, strings, pointers, functions and subscripted variables using C++
Graduates of PTI's Computer Programming program can earn up to six certificates through iCarnegie.
Programming languages you will use:
- Visual Basic
- Database Systems
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Game Development 1 and 2
- GUI Development
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Introduction to Game Design
- Introduction to Information Systems
- Object-Oriented Programming and Testing
- Programming Enterprise Applications
- Programming Mobile Applications
- Project Management
- User-Centered Design and Testing
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- Effective Speech
- Electives — 2
- English Composition 1 and 2
- Leadership Principles
- Steps to Career Success 1, 2 and 3
- PTI Computer Programming students receive additional hands-on experience during their in-field internship.
PTI Computer Programming graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Airlines and Transportation Companies
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Colleges, Universities and School Districts
- Communications Providers
- Digital and Web-based Companies
- Government Agencies
- Hospitals and Medical Practices
- Hotels, Resorts and Gaming Concerns
- Insurance Companies
- Manufacturing and Production Companies
- Mining and Drilling Companies
- Publishing and Broadcasting
- Retail and E-commerce Companies
- Service Providers
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- B-Three Solutions
- Bank of America — Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated
- Concept 2 Solution
- Datel Software Solutions
- Federated Investors
- Liz Sabol Creative
- Maniet Financial Service Network
- Marketing Support Network
- Maven Studios
- Port Authority of Allegheny County
- Roan Dynamic Media
- Sherpa Software
- Sierra w/o Wires
- Teleplex Inc.
- Think First
- University of Pittsburgh
- United Electrical Workers
- Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Applicants for the Computer Programming program must meet specific entrance requirements.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
Related Occupational Titles: click link for details
- Computer Programmers - 15-1021.00
- Web Developers - 15-1099.04
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software - 15-1032.00
Program Information for 2013/14:
- Program Tuition and Fees: $43,805
- Estimated Cost of Books and Supplies: $2,100
- Housing Cost for 12 month agreement (excludes food): $7,500-$8,460
- On-Time Graduation Rate for 11/12: 77%
- Percentage of Available Graduates Working in Their Field of Study for 2011: 88%
- Percentage of Graduates Working Part-time for 2011: 0%
- Average Salary of Graduates Employed Full-time for 2011: $32,802
- Title IV Median Loan Debt for 11/12: $18,315
- Institutional Median Loan Debt for 11/12: $0