Therapeutic Massage Practitioner
The world of massage therapy is growing in respectability as its therapeutic and restorative benefits are recognized.
PTI's Therapeutic Massage Practitioner program prepares graduates with a range of techniques, knowledge of anatomy, and hours of hands-on practice at an on-site massage lab, Saturday clinics, and off-site massage events. PTI students gain additional experience and confidence by completing an internship prior to graduation in preparation for professional licensure.
- Instructors who have worked or continue to work in the massage field provide up-to-date insight on industry trends, clientele attitudes, and new products.
- An on-site massage lab simulates real-world settings complete with privacy bays, a private dressing area, massage tables and chairs and products.
- A full schedule of Saturday clinics affords students the opportunity to practice clinical protocols and gain experience interacting with the general public.
- PTI's program includes different modalities including chair massage, Swedish massage and deep tissue.
- PTI's special focus on massage for special populations including pregnancy and infant massage instruction, geriatric massage, and palliative care, and an Aromatherapy class that covers oil basics, its effect on the skin, and ways to add this modality to massage service delivers broad-based massage training.
- Students review theoretical skills and prepare for the MBLEX or NCBTMB national exams in Medical Seminar class.
More about this program
- Adjusting massage routines to client schedules and needs
- Applying stroke, touch, pressure, stretching, and movement
- Assessing posture, soft tissue condition, muscle strength, and range of motion
- Blending techniques for oil application
- Identifying factors that cause and contribute to illness and injury
- Keeping accurate records
- Maintaining a safe and hygienic environment
- Performing a chair massage
- Performing a massage incorporating stone application
- Sanitary hand washing and equipment cleaning
- Table preparation, intake procedures, greeting customers, and handling payments
- PTI's massage program prepares students to take either the MBLEX (Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam) or the NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork) exam. Pennsylvania accepts both exams as part of its state licensure process.
- PTI students will sign up and take one of these exams during their final quarter of the massage program to ensure they can apply for their license upon graduation.
- If you plan on practicing in a state other than Pennsylvania, please check that state's licensure requirements as you may need to meet additional requirements.
- Business Ethics
- Chair Massage
- Clinic 1, 2 and 3
- Clinical Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Introduction to Massage
- Massage Seminar
- Medical Massage
- Pregnancy and Infant Massage
- Spa Applications
- Structure and Function of the Human Body 1, 2 and 3
- Swedish Massage
- PTI Therapeutic Massage Practitioner students receive additional hands-on experience during their in-field internship.
EmploymentPTI Therapeutic Massage Practitioner graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Chiropractor Offices
- Corporate Settings
- Cruise Lines
- Day Spas and Salons
- Fitness Centers
- Health and Wellness Centers
- Hotels and Resorts
- Outpatient Clinics
- Physical Therapy Departments
- Physician Offices
- Private Clinics
- Private Practices
- Rehabilitative Clinics
- Senior Care Facilities
- Sports Organizations
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- American Back Center LLC
- Body Bar
- Brandon Lucas MT
- Brennan Chiropractic
- Dr. Webb and Associates
- Esthetics Salon
- Evolve Massage and Wellness Center
- Gobbie Chiropractic
- Health Alternatives
- Ivywood Wellness Spa
- Keystone Family Chiropractic
- Osiris Wellness & Day Spa
- Market Street Manor
- Massage Envy
- Natural Resources Day Spa
- Russ Medical & Sports Massage
- Scott Medical Center PC
- Synergy Fitness & Spa
- Wexford Wellness Care
- Wheeling Spine Center
Applicants for the Therapeutic Massage Technician program must pass a required background check. Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: