In a surgical environment, the healthcare professionals who provide surgical care are surgical technologists.
Surgical Technologists are an important part of the operating room team. The PTI Surgical tech program will train you to work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses and other surgical personnel to deliver patient care before, during and after surgery.
- The PTI Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Committee — Surgical Technology (ARC–ST).
- PTI surgical technology students benefit from a state–of–the–industry surgical technology lab which replicates the operating room environment.
- You will learn from instructors who have worked or continue to work in the field and understand what it takes to be successful.
- PTI has an advisory board of medical professionals that guides our curriculum so you learn what the healthcare field is looking for in skills and experience.
More about this program
PTI is proud to have a 89% employed in field rate for our 2013 graduates with a Surgical Technology Degree.
PTI Surgical Technology graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Medical centers
- Ambulatory Care Centers
- Private employment with a surgeon
- Traveling surgical technologists
- Veterinary facilities
In the PTI Surgical Technology Program you will learn key skills such as:
- Anticipating the needs of the surgeon
- Caring for instruments
- Handling sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments
- Cutting sutures
- Disassembling the sterile field
- Donning operation room attire
- CPR and First Aid
- Gathering supplies and equipment for special cases
- Holding retractors
- Intraoperative skills
- Maintaining the sterile field
- Passing instruments to the surgeon
- Postoperative skills
- Preoperative skills
- Preparing and applying dressings
- Preparing the operating room
- Scrubbing for surgery
- Transporting patients
- Graduates can take the CST (Certified Surgical Technologist) exam.
- Graduates receive CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
- Anatomy and Physiology Lab 1 and 2
- Clinical Rotation Prep
- Clinical Rotation
- Clinical Rounds Review
- CST Review
- Diseases and Diagnostic Methods
- Foundations of Surgery
- Medical Terminology 1 and 2
- Orientation to Surgical Technology
- Principles of Surgery
- Surgical Instrumentation
- Surgical Technology 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
General Education Courses
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Diversity
- Electives – 2
- English Composition 1 and 2
- Principles of Mathematics
- Steps to Career Success 1, 2, and 3
- PTI Surgical Technology students receive additional hands–on experience during their in–field internship.
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Allegheny General Hospital
- Center of Organ Recovery and Education (CORE)
- Cleveland Clinic
- Gabriel Pain & Spine Center
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- Southwest Regional Medical Center
- St. Clair Hospital
- UPMC Children's Hospital
- UPMC Magee
- UPMC Mercy
- UPMC Passavant
- UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
- UPMC Shadyside Hospital
- UPMC South Hills Surgery Center
- UPMC St. Margaret
- Weirton Medical Center
- West Penn Hospital
Applicants for the Surgical Technology program must pass a required background check. Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: