Patient Care Technician
As the US population ages, there is a growing need for patient care throughout all segments of the healthcare industry.
PTI is preparing skilled patient care professional to perform basic medical services, help those who are ill or injured, and assist individuals who need help with daily activities. Patient care technicians work under the supervision of a physician and may have more direct patient contact than any other member of the healthcare team.
- Our students learn from instructors who have worked or continue to work in the healthcare field and understand what it takes to provide top quality healthcare.
- PTI Patient care students work in a state-of-the-industry medical lab on campus which replicates the medical care environment.
- PTI has an advisory board of healthcare professionals that guides curriculum so you learn the latest skills healthcare companies need.
More about this program
In the PTI Patient Care Technician program you will learn key skills such as:
- Caring for mothers and newborns
- Caring for patients with special needs
- Caring for wounds
- Collecting and testing specimens
- Measuring vital signs
- Obtaining an electrocardiogram
- Performing phlebotomy
- Assisting patients with personal hygiene and grooming
- Assisting patients with physical needs
- Assisting with physical examinations
- Assisting with healing process
- Performing range-of motion exercises
- Practicing good body mechanics during patient care
- Practicing medical asepsis and infection control
- Providing basic emergency care
- Setting up a sterile field
- Transferring patients
- Graduates are prepared for the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) Phlebotomy Technician Certification.
- Graduates are prepared to take the Patient Care Technician certification through the National Center for Competency Testing.
- Graduates receive CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Clinical Skills 1 and 2
- Clinical Practice
- Introduction to Healthcare
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Medical Terminology/Anatomy
- and Physiology in Sickness and Health 1 and 2
- Patient Care Skills 1 and 2
- Patient Psychology
- Assisting with Clinical Situations
- Phlebotomy and Testing
EmploymentPTI Patient Care Technician graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Assisting living facilities
- Community health agencies
- Home health services
- Long-term care facilities
- Medical centers
- Nursing homes
- Physical therapy departments
- Physician offices
- Rehabilitation centers
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Medical Group Robinson
- North Hills Internal Medicine
- Pine Grove Ambulatory Associates
- Pittsburgh Medical Associates
- Preferred Primary Care Physicians
- Premier Medical Associates
- Sewickley Medical Oncology and Hematology
- UPMC Magee Women's Hospital
- Valley Gastroenterology
Applicants for the Patient Care Technician program must pass a required background check. Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: