From physicians' offices to hospitals, insurance companies and public health organizations...
...There is a need for detailed, accurate individuals who can translate physical conditions, injuries and diseases, and the resulting physician evaluations, treatments, and prescriptions into the universal numeric language of coding for insurance billing and reimbursement. These professionals drive the economy of healthcare.
- PTI's Medical Coding program teaches the general rules of coding, then allows the student to specialize in coding for hospitals or coding for physicians.
- PTI medical coding students learn the universally used ICD–9–CM, CPT–4, ICD–10–CM and HCPCS diagnosis code sets.
- As graduates, PTI medical coders will benefit from learning ICD–10 through Continuing Education courses.
- PTI has an advisory board of medical professionals that guides our curriculum so you learn what the healthcare field is looking for in skills and experience.
- PTI's comprehensive curriculum provides chart abstracting in three courses so students can read medical records, interpret them, and assign correct codes, a skill valuable to employers.
More about this program
In the PTI Medical Coding Program you will learn key skills such as:
- Chart abstracting
- Interpreting medical records
- Assigning five-digit ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM numeric and alphanumeric codes for diagnoses as established by the World Health Organization and modified for use in the U.S. by Medicare
- Assigning current procedural terminology codes (CPT–4) for professional services as established by the AMA
- Assigning HCPCS codes for supplies and drugs as established by Medicare
- Using the manual to access the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets
- Using the manual to access the CPT and the HCPCS code sets
- Using industry software to access the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets, the CPT code set and the HCPCS code set
- Auditing code assignments for accuracy
- Utilizing Medisoft, the physician office software
- Using Electronic Health Record software
- Anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Graduates can take the CPC, Certified Professional Coder, or the CPC–H, Certified Professional Coder – Hospital, national certification exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- PTI reimburses the cost of the exam to students who earn certification on either their first or second attempt.
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
- Auditing for Physicians & National Certification Exam Preparation
- Career Development
- Chart Abstracting for Physicians and Hospitals
- Computerized Practice Management & EHR
- Diagnostic and Procedural Coding for Physicians 1, 2 and 3
- Diseases and Diagnostic Methods
- Foundations of Health Insurance
- Healthcare Delivery in the Medical Office
- Medical Terminology
- Steps to Career Success
PTI Medical Coding graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Ambulatory Care Centers
- Billing and Collection Agencies
- Durable Medical Equipment Suppliers
- Healthcare Consulting Firms
- Insurance Companies
- Medical Centers
- Physicians Offices
- Public Health Agencies
- Specialty Practices
- Transcription Services
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Adagio Health
- Automated Physician Services
- CorVel Corporation
- Family Pathways
- Fenner Corporation
- Healthcare Management Providers
- Heritage Valley Health System
- Kindred Hospital
- McKesson Automated Healthcare
- Medical Billing and Management Services
- Medical Service Associates
- Millennium Pharmacy Systems, Inc.
- M. Leco & Associates
- Nuance Transcript Services
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- Pediatric Alliance
- Trinity Health Systems
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
- Wallace C. Gauntner MD PC
- Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.