PTI's Medical Assisting program combines superior classroom instruction from industry trained professionals with hands-on experience in our state-of-the-industry lab facilities.
You will learn important clinical and administrative skills that will prepare you for a successful healthcare career. The PTI program prepares you for a number of important exams including the NCCT Phlebotomy Technician Certification exam and the CMA exam.
- You will learn from our state-of-the-industry lab, work with the latest equipment, and develop hands-on skills and confidence in a realistic setting.
- PTI's dual-focus program blends front office management skills and back office clinical skills making you a well-rounded, versatile employee.
- Your venipuncture instruction prepares you for the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) Phlebotomy Technician Certification exam.
- The PTI Medical Assisting associate degree program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB) permitting you to sit for your Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam.
- PTI pays for your CMA exam, provides your review book and schedules review time during Medical Seminar.
More about this program
In the PTI Medical Assisting program you will learn key skills such as:
- Arranging exam room equipment
- Arranging hospital admission and lab services
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Drawing blood, administering injections, removing sutures
- Explaining treatment, medication and diets
- Handling insurance forms and billing
- Obtaining electrocardiograms Performing basic laboratory tests
- Preparing patients for examination
- Scheduling appointments Sending prescriptions to pharmacies
- Sterilizing medical instruments Taking medical histories
- Purchasing and maintaining supplies and equipment
- Recording vital signs and updating patient records
- Conducting respiratory tests
Graduates of PTI's Medical Assisting program can sit for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam and the phlebotomy technician certification exam.
- Clinical Techniques 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Coding for the Medical Assistant
- Computerized Medical Office Procedures
- Healthcare Delivery in the Medical Office
- Insurance Billing and Collections
- Medical Laboratory 1 and 2
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Medical Seminar
- Medical Office Administration
- The Body in Sickness and Health 1, 2 and 3
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Diversity
- English Composition 1 and 2
- Principles of Math
- Steps to Career Success 1, 2 and 3
EmploymentPTI Medical Assisting graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Physician Offices
- Specialty Practices
- Ophthalmologist, Cardiologist, Orthopedist, Urologist, Podiatrist, Chiropractor
- Emergency Care Clinics
- Ambulatory and outpatient facilities
- Insurance companies
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Carnegie Pediatrics
- First Steps Pediatrics
- Medical Group Robinson
- North Hills Internal Medicine
- Pine Grove Ambulatory Associates
- Pittsburgh Medical Associates
- Preferred Primary Care Physicians
- Premier Medical Associates
- Sewickley Medical Oncology and Hematology
- UPMC Magee Women's Hospital
- Valley Gastroenterology
- West Allegheny Healthcare Services
- Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: