Smart Building Technology
The future of the building and construction industry is today's smart building technology.
At PTI we offer training in the latest construction skills and techniques that will prepare you for tomorrow's careers. By combining computers, electronics and design with strong communication skills, Smart Building Technology professionals can wire new construction or retrofit existing structures to network the latest technology.
- At PTI we have our own Smart House right on campus that you will work in.
- Our program is very hands on. You will learn by doing and gain practical experience and be able to take what you have learned to create something new.
- We have a troubleshooting focus. Our program provides real world challenges you will learn to solve.
- We teach what companies are looking for. Companies tell us our students hit the ground running and contribute in the workplace right away.
- Our students learn both the commercial side of building and the residential side of building so our graduates are well prepared for maximum career opportunities.
- PTI's program includes training that is ideal for positions that Marcellus Shale companies are looking for.
More about this program
Key skills you will learn in PTI's Smart Building Technology are extensive and include:
- Fundamentals of smart building computers and networks
- Installation of home security systems
- Connecting centrally controlled networks
- Black box troubleshooting
- Commercial systems integration
- Residential networks and integrating television, lighting, computers and security systems
- Ability to implement construction practices required by the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Rating System for projects pursuing certification.
The PTI program prepares you for certifications in:
- Electronics Technicians Associations' REST Certification (Residential Electronics Systems Installer)
- Electronics Systems Professional Alliance Certified EST (Electronic Systems Technician)
- Green Advantage Environmental Certification (Commercial / Residential)
- Applied Communications
- Audio/Video Systems
- Computer and Network
- Electronics 1
- Electronics 2
- Energy Management and
- Lighting Controls
- Entertainment Systems
- Green Technology
- Math for Electronics
- Project Management
- Security and Life Safety
- Structured Wiring
General Education Courses
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- English Composition 1
- English Composition 2
- Steps to Career Success 1
- Steps to Career Success 2
- Physical Science
PTI Smart Building Technology students participate in a hand's-on internship in the field learning real world skills.
PTI Smart Building Technology graduates are prepared for entry-level positions at:
- Technology companies
- Engineering Companies
- Security Companies
- Audio/Video Companies
- Communications companies
PTI offers a comprehensive Career Services Department with a dedicated staff who will assist you in your career search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Accent Electronics Systems Integrators
- Advanced Communications Inc. (ACI Direct)
- Alpha Communications Technologies
- Best Buy Geek Squad
- David Davis Communications
- Dobil Laboratories, Inc.
- Greyfox Services
- Guardian Protection Services
- HB Communications
- Intelligent Electronics Systems
- Intertech Security LLC
- Lauttamus Communications
- Live Wire Designs
- Max Audio-Video
- Muninn Group Inc.
- North Star Communications
- PSX Inc.
- Radio Shack
- Siemens Building Technologies
- Sierra w/o Wires Inc.
- SmartSolution Technologies L.P.
- Surveillance Group
- Theater Xtreme
- The Wilkins Company
- TriWire Engineering
- Tschco Electronics and Security
- Vector Security
Some employers may require a background check and drug screening prior to employment.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: