Oil and Gas Electronics Certificate
PTI offers a nine-month evening certificate in Oil and Gas Electronics that is designed for individuals who possess a working knowledge of electronics and electronic circuitry and who want to expand their understanding of the instrumentation and digital controls critical to the energy industry.
As oil and gas companies solidify their footprint in Western Pennsylvania there will be an ever-increasing need for skilled measurement technicians, instrumentation technicians and e-techs.
- With this focused, oil and gas electronics degree, PTI graduates are prepared to meet the demand for midstream industrial and commercial automation technicians created by the growth surrounding the exploration and development of Marcellus Shale and, in the future, Utica Shale.
- Students will learn the fundamentals of level, temperature, pressure, and flow control and comprehensive technical skills universally critical to natural gas and oil companies based in the tri-state region.
- Theoretical coursework presented by experienced automation professionals who understand the natural gas and oil industry sets the stage for extensive 'hands-on' experience with state-of-the-industry equipment.
- Students interested in this program will enjoy the technical and hands on aspects of the natural gas and oil industry, a fast-paced, ever-changing career field, and working outdoors. Courses include instruction in installing, servicing, and maintaining automation systems.
- You will learn how to set up, calibrate, and troubleshoot instrumentation and controllers. The program includes the option of a capstone project or an internship in the field.
More about this program
- In the PTI Oil and Gas Electronics program you will learn key skills including:
- Installation, calibration, and troubleshooting of temperature, pressure, level, and flow controls
- Working knowledge of upstream, midstream and downstream natural gas systems
- Installation and maintenance of various power systems
- Control loop tuning and troubleshooting
- Calibrating and troubleshooting instrumentation and controls
- Troubleshooting electronics and communication systems
- Electronic equipment installation, maintenance and repair
- Safe work practices and procedures
- Application of electronics and instrumentation
- Application of basic mathematical calculations
- Problem solving and teamwork
PTI offers a dedicated Career Services department, staffed with more than 13 career advisement professionals, to assist you with your job search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Advantech US Inc.
- Allegheny Energy Corporation
- Andrews Industrial Controls
- Aquatech International
- Cabot Oil and Gas
- Chevron Corporation
- CONSOL Energy Inc.
- Draeger Safety Inc.
- EQT Corp.
- First Energy Corporation
- Fletcher Industries
- FTS International
- Industrial Scientific
- Logi-Tec Inc.
- Mark West
- Pike Energy Solutions
- Process Instruments Inc.
- Range Resources
- Siemens USA
- Target Drilling
- Thermo Systems
- Universal Well Services
- Westinghouse Electric Co LLC
- Williams, Inc.
- XTO Energy Inc.
CERTIFICATE TRAINING PROGRAMS
OIL & GAS ELECTRONICS
- Electronics Fundamentals
- This online course re-introduces the students to fundamental concepts of electricity that have been learned before or experienced on the job. The study includes direct current, switching and control, magnetism, basic electrical instruments, alternating current, and applications to basic devices.
- Digital Electronics
- This course introduces students to logic gates, flip-flops, counters, registers, and code converters. Students gain practical experience by constructing, testing and troubleshooting digital circuits and systems. Prerequisite: ELT135.
- Overview of the Oil and Gas Industry
- This course provides a non-technical overview of the oil and gas industry. Topics include geological process related to the formation of hydrocarbons, drilling and completing wells, managing oil and gas production, transportation, processing, and the conversion into various products.
- Industrial Communications
- This course explores the realms of industrial automation communication techniques. Wired communication methods such as: RS485, RS232, HART, Ethernet, Field Bus, and other industrial communication protocols will be examined. The learner will work hands-on with a variety of industry standard communication tools. The course also includes industrial wireless communication methods and wireless network topologies. Prerequisite: ELT145.
- Process Control 1
- An exploration of the fundamental concepts regarding closed loop control systems. From terminology to methodologies, the learner is introduced to the typical concepts and equipment involved in a process control system. Process instrument bench calibration methods and accuracy analysis is accomplished using industry standard instruments and Fluke® calibrators. The learner will explore the various instrumentation utilized for measuring the four major process variables: temperature, pressure, level, and flow. Prerequisite: ELT145.
- Process Control 2
- The learner's basic knowledge of process instrumentation and control is expanded upon with an in depth hands-on analysis of pressure, level, and flow measurements. Installation, calibration, control loop tuning, and control loop troubleshooting is an integral part of the learner's unique hands-on experience. Reading control system documentation and drawings, such as Loop and P&ID diagrams, is integrated into this course. Prerequisites: GOE250, GOE251.
- Industrial Controllers
- Automation controllers, such as PLCs, PACs, and Mass Flow Controllers, are the core subjects of study in this course. From basic On/Off control to proportional control, the learner will gain hands-on experience with discrete and analog input/output operations. Ladder Logic programming, communications, and system diagnostics/troubleshooting complete this study of controller operations. Prerequisites: GOE250, GOE251.
- Industrial Safety
- This course prepares students to sit for the NCCER Basic Safety Test. The purpose of the class is to introduce students to the intensive safety training they will receive in every company they work for in the industry.
- Physical Science
- This General Education course surveys the foundational concepts behind classical physics, exploring basic principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, waves, and optics. This course is intended for programs that require little or no science background. Prerequisite: Satisfactory performance on the mathematics proficiency examination or GEM100.
- Career Development
- The focus of this course is on preparing students for the upcoming job search process. They will produce a series of critical job search documents, including a resume, reference page, cover letter and thank you letter. These documents are applied to job search activities that give students the opportunity to hone their interview skills, research potential employers, complete an online job application, and experience a mock interview scenario.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
The evening Oil and Gas Electronics certificate provides an overview of the oil and gas industry so graduates
understand the language and nuances of the workplace. It then focuses on the instrumentation and controls that monitor and measure the level, temperature, flow and pressure of natural resource production, transportation, processing and conversion.
Students should have electronics training, applicable work experience or related military training.
Applicants for the Oil and Gas Electronics certificate program must pass a required background check.
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.