Oil and Gas Electronics Certificate
PTI offers a nine-month evening certificate in Oil and Gas Electronics that is designed for individuals who possess a working knowledge of electronics and electronic circuitry and who want to expand their understanding of the instrumentation and digital controls critical to the surging energy industry.
As oil and gas companies solidify their footprint in Western Pennsylvania there will be an ever-increasing need for skilled measurement technicians, instrumentation technicians and e-techs.
- With this focused, oil and gas electronics degree, PTI graduates are prepared to meet the demand for midstream industrial and commercial automation technicians created by the exponential growth surrounding the exploration and development of Marcellus Shale and, in the future, Utica Shale.
- Students will learn the fundamentals of level, temperature, pressure, and flow control and comprehensive technical skills universally critical to natural gas and oil companies based in the tri-state region.
- Theoretical coursework presented by experienced automation professionals who understand the natural gas and oil industry sets the stage for extensive 'hands-on' experience with state-of-the-industry equipment.
- Students interested in this program will enjoy the technical and hands on aspects of the natural gas and oil industry, a fast-paced, ever-changing career field, and working outdoors. Courses include instruction in installing, servicing, and maintaining automation systems.
- You will learn how to set up, calibrate, and troubleshoot instrumentation and controllers. The program includes the option of a capstone project or an internship in the field.
More about this program
- In the PTI Oil and Gas Electronics program you will learn key skills including:
- Installation, calibration, and troubleshooting of temperature, pressure, level, and flow controls
- Working knowledge of upstream, midstream and downstream natural gas systems
- Installation and maintenance of various power systems
- Control loop tuning and troubleshooting
- Calibrating and troubleshooting instrumentation and controls
- Troubleshooting electronics and communication systems
- Electronic equipment installation, maintenance and repair
- Safe work practices and procedures
- Application of electronics and instrumentation
- Application of basic mathematical calculations
- Problem solving and teamwork
PTI offers a dedicated Career Services department, staffed with more than 13 career advisement professionals, to assist you with your job search. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Advantech US Inc.
- Allegheny Energy Corporation
- Andrews Industrial Controls
- Aquatech International
- Cabot Oil and Gas
- Chevron Corporation
- CONSOL Energy Inc.
- Draeger Safety Inc.
- EQT Corp.
- First Energy Corporation
- Fletcher Industries
- FTS International
- Industrial Scientific
- Logi-Tec Inc.
- Mark West
- Pike Energy Solutions
- Process Instruments Inc.
- Range Resources
- Siemens USA
- Target Drilling
- Thermo Systems
- Universal Well Services
- Westinghouse Electric Co LLC
- Williams, Inc.
- XTO Energy Inc.
- Overview of the Oil and Gas Industry
- Physical Science
- Digital Electronics
- Career Development
- Process Control I and II
- Industrial Communications
- Advanced Controllers
- OSHA 10 Safety Certification
The Oil and Gas Electronics certificate is an evening program that blends hands-on learning in the Energy Technology Center’s Emerson/ECI Oil & Gas lab and supplemental electronics labs with traditional classroom learning and several courses offered 100% online.
The schedule requires students to be on campus two or three nights a week each week. A typical schedule includes one online class each quarter.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
The evening Oil and Gas Electronics certificate provides an overview of the oil and gas industry so graduates
understand the language and nuances of the workplace. It then focuses on the instrumentation and controls that monitor and measure the level, temperature, flow and pressure of natural resource production, transportation, processing and conversion.
Students should have electronics training, applicable work experience or related military training.
Applicants for the Oil and Gas Electronics certificate program must pass a required background check.
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.