Oil and Gas Electronics
PTI now offers an Electronics Engineering Technology degree with an oil and gas electronics concentration that is designed to prepare students for careers in this region's surging energy industry.
As oil and gas companies solidify their footprint in Western Pennsylvania, there is a need for electronics professionals at compressor stations, at energy facilities, and on pipeline projects who have the electronics, instrumentation and automation skills to monitor the extraction, storage and transmittal of this natural resource.
- With this focused, oil and gas electronics degree, PTI graduates are prepared to meet the demand for midstream industrial and commercial automation technicians created by the exponential growth surrounding the exploration and development of Marcellus Shale and, in the future, Utica Shale.
- Students will learn the fundamentals of level, temperature, pressure, and flow control and comprehensive technical skills universally critical to natural gas and oil companies based in the tri-state region.
- Theoretical coursework presented by experienced automation professionals who understand the natural gas and oil industry sets the stage for extensive 'hands-on' experience with state-of-the-industry equipment.
- Students interested in this program will enjoy the technical and hands on aspects of the natural gas and oil industry, a fast-paced, ever-changing career field, and working outdoors. Courses include instruction in installing, servicing, and maintaining automation systems.
- You will learn how to set up, calibrate, and troubleshoot instrumentation and controllers. The program includes the option of a capstone project or an internship in the field.
More about this program
- In the PTI Oil and Gas Electronics program you will learn key skills including:
- Application of basic mathematical calculations
- Application of electronics and instrumentation
- Control loop tuning and troubleshooting
- Electronic equipment installation, maintenance and repair
- Installation and maintenance of various power systems
- Installation, calibration, and troubleshooting of temperature, pressure, level, and flow controls
- Problem solving and teamwork Safe work practices and procedures
- Troubleshooting electronic and communication systems
- Working knowledge of upstream, midstream, and downstream natural gas systems
- PTI Oil and Gas Electronics students are prepared to take certification exams in a number of key areas.
- Students can prepare to sit for the CST (Control Systems Technician) Associate Exam, a certificate of achievement awarded by ISA, the International Society of Automation.
- Students also can sit for the NCCER Core Curriculum certification. NCCER is an educational foundation created to develop standardized construction and maintenance assessments with portable industry-recognized credentials.
- Advanced Controllers
- Digital Control Concepts
- Electronics 1
- Electronics 2
- Industrial Communications
- Introduction to Control Systems
- Introduction to the Natural Gas
- Industry (NGI)
- NGI Control Technology 1
- NGI Control Technology 2
- NGI Control System Technician
- Certification Prep
- Physical Science
- Structured Wiring
General Education Courses
- Career Development
- Critical Thinking
- Electives (3)
- English Composition 1
- English Composition 2
- Math for Electronics
- Steps to Career Success 1
- Steps to Career Success 2
INTERNSHIP or NGI
- Control Technology
- Capstone Project (based on student desire and availability)
Students applying for the Oil and Gas Electronics concentration must meet eligibility requirements including a drug screening prior to acceptance.
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below: