Medical Coding, Online
An industry–current certificate program that includes universally used ICD–9–CM and ICD-10-CM diagnosis code sets can open the door to a career as a vital member of the healthcare industry.
PTI Online's Certificate in Medical Coding teaches the general rules of coding, then allows you to specialize in coding for hospitals or coding for physicians. You will learn how to transform written descriptions of diseases, injuries, procedures and services into alphanumeric designations. You will also prepare for the national coding certification examination.
More about this program
In the PTI Medical Coding Program you will learn key skills such as:
- Chart abstracting
- Interpreting medical records
- Assigning five-digit ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM numeric and alphanumeric codes for diagnoses as established by the World Health Organization and modified for use in the U.S. by Medicare
- Assigning current procedural terminology codes (CPT–4) for professional services as established by the AMA
- Assigning HCPCS codes for supplies and drugs as established by Medicare
- Using the manual to access the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets
- Using the manual to access the CPT and the HCPCS code sets
- Using industry software to access the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets, the CPT code set and the HCPCS code set
- Auditing code assignments for accuracy
- Utilizing Medisoft, the physician office software
- Using Electronic Health Record software
- Anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Graduates can take the CPC, Certified Professional Coder, or the CPC–H, Certified Professional Coder – Hospital, national certification exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- PTI reimburses the cost of the exam to students who earn certification on either their first or second attempt.
- Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
- Auditing for Physicians & National Certification Exam Preparation
- Career Development
- Chart Abstracting for Physicians and Hospitals
- Computerized Practice Management & EHR
- Diagnostic and Procedural Coding for Physicians 1, 2 and 3
- Diseases and Diagnostic Methods
- Foundations of Health Insurance
- Healthcare Delivery in the Medical Office
- Medical Terminology
- Steps to Career Success
The PTI Commitment to Student Success
PTI has an advisory board comprised of healthcare professionals who keep our programs up to date and consistent with the needs of today's employment market.
Graduates in this certificate program are prepared for the national coding certification examination and to work as medical coding specialists. A 70% final grade average must be attained in all medical–related courses to meet the program objectives. Courses offered in this program are fully transferrable to the PTI Online Associate of Science in Medical Office Administration Program.
Career Opportunities in Medical Coding Professionals
From physicians' offices to hospitals, insurance companies and public health organizations, there is a need for detailed, accurate individuals who can translate physical conditions, injuries and diseases, and the resulting physician evaluations, treatments, and prescriptions into the universal numeric language of coding for insurance billing and reimbursement. With the right knowledge and skills to support your goals and aspirations, you can pursue professional success and satisfaction in:
- Medical centers
- Ambulatory care centers
- Physicians offices
- Transcription services
- Specialty practice
- Public health agencies
- Insurance companies
PTI Graduates in the Workforce
As a student at PTI Online, you can tap into all of the support and services you would expect at a well–respected career school. Our Career Services Department is staffed by experienced placement professionals with contacts and connections across the country. Companies that have previously hired PTI graduates include:
- Nuance Transcript Services
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- Adagio Health
- CorVel Corporation
- Kindred Hospital
- Fenner Corporation
- Pediatric Alliance
- Automated Physician Services
- Family Pathways
- Medical Service Associates
- Millennium Pharmacy Systems, Inc.
- Medical Billing and Management Services
- M. Leco & Associates
- Wallace C. Gauntner MD PC
- Healthcare Management Providers
- Trinity Health Systems
- Heritage Valley Health System
- McKesson Automated Healthcare
Tuition, Loan Debt & Graduate Information
For graduation rates and other important consumer information regarding this program, please click on the link below:
Request More Information
Stay up-to-date with everything that goes on at PTI in our monthly newsletter.
We will not sell or distribute your e-mail. To unsubscribe, use the link provided in all e-news communications.
Ready to Apply?
Follow these simple steps to get you started.