Pittsburgh Technical Institute is a two-year college in Western Pennsylvania that combines comprehensive general studies with dynamic hands-on, career-focused education.
Founded in 1946, PTI is located on a scenic 180-acre campus with student housing, a six-floor education building and new Energy Technology Center. PTI offers more than 30 areas of study both on campus and online.
2,045 full-time students enrolled as of fall. Approximately 51% of PTI’s students reside in student housing
301 Faculty and Staff as of July. More than 75% of all classes are taught by full-time faculty.
1946 Pittsburgh Technical Institute opens and offers courses as the School of Management Engineering.
- 1996 Penn Technical Institute, founded in 1947, joins PTI adding an Electronics Engineering Technology degree.
- 1998 Boyd School, founded in 1968, joins PTI adding Travel and Hospitality degrees.
- 2000 PTI Opens its North Fayette Campus.
- 2008 PTI unveils its SBT Lab to support its new Smart Building Technology program.
- 2009 PTI opens on-campus student housing.
- 2009 PTI opens its School of Nursing and offers Practical Nursing.
- 2010 PTI begins its first fully online program.
- 2013 PTI establishes a new culinary school, the American Academy of Culinary Arts.
- 2013 PTI opens the Energy Tech Center and offers Oil & Gas Electronics and Welding Technology.
PTI is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (MSCHE), 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, 267.284.5000, (www.msche.org). MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. This is the same accrediting body that accredits Penn State, Robert Morris University, and Slippery Rock.
- PTI’s Surgical Technology and Medical Assisting programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- PTI’s Practical Nursing program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing.
- PTI’s Practical Nursing and Associate in Science, Nursing programs are approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
- PTI’s Therapeutic Massage Practitioner program is approved by the National Certification board for Therapeutic Massage Body Work (NCBTMB).
- PTI is authorized as a college by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to award Academic Associate Degrees.
- 180-Acre Campus
- 170,000 square-foot main Academic Building
- 15,000 square-foot Energy Tech Center
- 67 Classrooms with more than 42 hands-on learning and simulation labs
- Three campus Residence Halls which accommodate 465 resident students
- Two off campus residence housing locations.
- Five Nursing labs with a state of the industry simulation center
- The culinary school, the American Academy of Culinary Arts, features two new, complete kitchens and a dining lab
- 145 off-campus apartments
- Recreational fields and courts for intramural softball, soccer, volleyball,
- football and basketball
- Exclusive military lounge
- More than 75% of all classes are taught by full-time faculty.
- PTI is an ESOP organization; faculty and staff own approximately 94% of the college.
- Labs and classrooms are equipped with more than 900 networked computers dedicated to student instruction and use.
- Most students in degree programs participate in an internship providing practical experience in their chosen field.
- Advisory boards guide program development, providing employer insight and advice regarding curriculum improvement. There are nineteen advisory boards with approximately 300 members.
- PTI’s Center for Teaching and Learning helps faculty improve the quality of instruction under the direction of staff devoted exclusively to instructional quality.
- PTI’s Career Services Department helps students find part time jobs while attending school; hosts career fairs, speed networking, and assists students and alumni in their job search.
- PTI has transfer arrangements with more than 20 postsecondary institutions for students who elect to continue their education.
- PTI offers classes on campus both daytime and evenings and offers degrees and certificates online.
- PTI’s classroom facility accommodates 2,500+ students.
- Three on-campus residence halls can house 465 students in apartment style units.
The campus includes an Energy Technology Center and athletic fields and courts.
- PTI is a member of the National Student Clearinghouse.
- The PTI Library has many books and magazines available for student use and a computer lab where students have access to online articles from more than 29,000 periodicals in EbscoHost, which is available 24/7.
- PTI is an authorized testing site for NICET, DANTES, Kryterion, Pearson Vue, ServSafe, and TIPS.
Honored as one of Pittsburgh’s Top Places to Work in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Voted #1 in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s 2007 survey of the “Best Places to Work.”
- Named by the Pittsburgh Business Times as one of the 100 fastest-growing companies in Western Pennsylvania each year from 1997 to 2003.
- Honored in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2015 with the Pennsylvania Association of Private School Administrators’ Outstanding Instructor of the
- Year Award.
- Honored in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2013 with the Pennsylvania Association of Private School Administrators’ Community Service Award.
- Honored in 2003 with a Pennsylvania Association of Private School Administrators’ Outstanding Graduate Hall of Fame selection.
- Honored in 2001, 2003 and 2005 with the national Career College Association Community Service Award.
- Received the 2001 and 2003 People Do Matter Award from Workforce Connections.
- Received the APSCU award in 2009 honoring PTI graduate Joyce Leonard as one of the nation’s outstanding career college graduates.
- Recognized in 2009 with the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
- In 2012 Nancy Sheppard, PTI Director of Human Resources won the Pittsburgh Business Times Human Resources Leadership Award.
- In 2013 Instructor Charles Eltringham received the Educator of the Year Award from APSCU.
- Recognized as a Military Friendly School in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 by G.I. Jobs.
- President Greg DeFeo received the Pittsburgh Business Times 2013 Diamond Award honoring the region’s top CEOs and Presidents.
- In 2014 Instructor John Nagy received the Lamp of Knowledge Award for Outstanding U.S. Educator for hospitality education.